While riding as a passenger, you received injuries in a car accident. You have unpaid medical bills, and you are unable to work. You tried to negotiate a settlement on your own. As a result, the driver’s car insurance company wants to give you an unfair payment. So what should you do next? You need to contact an attorney. Here are 5 tips to help you choose the best lawyer:
Research and Get Recommendations
If you are unfamiliar with finding an attorney, you can go online and research lawyers in your area. The state bar association also has information about attorneys. Many legal professionals have websites with their profiles and other information. You can also check out their profiles on sites such as LinkedIn and FindLaw. Furthermore, you can get recommendations from family, friends, and coworkers.
Before you initiate a consultation with the lawyer, prepare a list of questions to ask about your case. Here are some things you should ask about the issue:
- What is the lawyer’s experience handling your type of case?
- What type of information does the lawyer need?
- Is it possible to settle the case out of court?
- If there is an unreasonable settlement offer, will the lawyer file a lawsuit?
Find out the Legal Focus of the Lawyer
You will need to make sure that your lawyer’s legal focus is on your type of injuries. Some attorneys focus on personal injury, while other lawyers center on medical malpractice.
Find out the Reasons You Should Contact an Attorney
You will need to protect your rights after an accident. Here are some reasons you should contact an attorney:
- The insurance company may not offer a fair settlement.
- You have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit.
- Laws are different for each state.
- There are complex rules to follow during a lawsuit.
- You may be unaware of future damages.
Decide How Comfortable You are with the Attorney
It may take some time for the attorney to settle your case. In the meantime, you should feel comfortable communicating with your attorney. The lawyer will give you updates about your case. But if you find out any additional information, you should alert your attorney.
Without legal representation, the insurance company may offer you an unfair settlement. There are ways to choose the best lawyer for your case. So you should contact an attorney to guide you through the complex legal process.