A car donation program is the last thing that might cross one’s mind while thinking of how to get rid of the old family station wagon that has been sitting in the garage idle for many years. If emotions have stopped you for so many years, then let car donation nyc cross your mind for once. That is the answer that you seek and which can really put an end to your misery. If you donate your car New York, then not only do you get the opportunity to bid farewell to the station wagon, but also earn yourself a reward in return. However, whether you earn yourself a reward or not very much depends on the charitable organization that you have chosen to donate your car New York to. If it is recognized by IRS, then you are on the right path to earn tax deductions for yourself. If not, then you can cry over giving away your car to such an organization whose car donation NYC program is just an eyewash. So, if you have made up your mind to donate, be sure that it is 501(c)  classified so that you get to maximize the benefits for both the charity and yourself.
Over the years, the rule of donating a car and the benefits that you earned from it have changed. Way back in say 2005, the entire Fair Market Value or FMV used to be deducted from the taxable income thereby reducing the taxes that one had to pay to the IRS. With time, rules got stringent and now the FMV of a donated vehicle is deducted under certain strict conditions. Knowing about these is important as it prepares the car donor of the circumstances one is about to step in.
- Make Your That The Car Donation NYC Is IRS Recognized Non-Profit Organization- This is crucial because if you are not sure of this, then you are actually jeopardizing the entire car donation program. You would not be serving any noble cause as the organization might be running the car donation program as a scam which uses the donated vehicle to their benefit and nothing that comes from it goes to serve any good cause like funding service programs for the underprivileged children. So, if you are not sure whether your chosen organization is 501(c)(3) classified or not, then ask. Assumptions will not lead you anywhere, so quit that.
- If The Charitable Organization Is Not 501(c)(3) Classified, There is No Tax Deduction- The idea of donating your vehicle to a non-profit organization is to maximize the benefit. It is true that when you donate something to charity, you are not expecting anything in return. But when you are giving it away to a 501(c)(3) classified one, then car owners have the place to make such a claim. There are some limits put down by the IRS on the claim so it is necessary that one talks it out prior to the donation.
How Is The Value Of The Car Determined?
Before the percentage of deduction is fixed, it is necessary to determine the FMV or fair market value of the car. This is determined by the IRS as the price a buyer is willing to pay and the price a seller is wiling to accept for the vehicle under the given conditions that neither the seller nor the buyer is under any compulsion to undertake the transaction and both of them are well aware of the necessary facts and clauses. Also, it is mandatory that both the parties have to be private and none deals in automobiles.
How Is the Fair Market Value Deducted?
The IRS lays down four rules. These are:
- When the car is auctioned for $500 or less, the car donor is free to claim the FMV or $500 whichever stands to be less.
- When the charity decides to use the donated vehicle for other work like delivering meals to those in need.
- When the charity sells or gives away the vehicle to someone in need at a price which is much below the Fair Market Value.
- When the charity makes changes to the vehicle so as to prolong the life of the vehicle or increase the car’s value.
To What Does This Car Donation NYC Go To?
The non-profit organizations are all in charge of running certain service programs to benefit the underprivileged children. When you donate to a car donation program, the funds that come from it are used in paying hot meal programs, funding educational scholarships, replenishing school book inventories and sending kids to summer camp. One can also donate boats or real estate if they wish to do so.
Selling a car that is in its dying years has challenges of its own. That is why when it comes to getting rid of it, then the minimum effort that you can undertake is to donate the old junker away to IRS recognized organization and earn tax deduction as a nice bonus.