Every new home builder that you come across will invariably emphasize on energy efficient homes. It has been observed that the new homes that are being built enjoy an advantage over the older houses in the same vicinity. This is essentially a marketing strategy, which can save you some money too. This is because in case of the newer homes, you are able to save a lot of money on your utility and energy bills. On the other hand, the houses that have been built several years ago are not energy efficient and you have to shell out a lot of money in that case towards utility and energy bills. Here we will find out how you can plan your home to make it energy efficient, which also means that these houses sell well in the process. So, read on for more information.
- Type of doors and windows – The kind of doors and windows you are installing matters a lot. Always use glasses for doors and windows that will save energy. Ideally, star rated windows work wonders.
- Appliances – It goes without saying that you will have several appliances in your kitchen. Make sure the appliances that you use in the kitchen are all Energy Star ones.
- Solar heat – If you have your home that is south facing, you can enjoy the sunshine as you can enjoy the winter sun which is of lesser intensity. These sun rays can keep your rooms warm and cozy. If you are planning to install special devices for insulation, and the like, it is best you talk to an expert. In this regard, you can find out how to go about the heating or cooling system and stuff like load cells (if required) and so on. It may be mentioned here that there are many houses that will use insulated concrete forms to make the rooms energy efficient. You can also try out these tricks.
- Ventilation – This particular point does not need any explanation. Having a well ventilated, airy, and spacious home is a boon. However, not everyone is lucky in this regard, especially if you are living in a small compact house surrounded by houses on 3 sides. Under such circumstances, you can make some arrangement on the cellar and make a window that can be pushed out and closed in as and when you require.
- Air tight environment – When you are opting for sealed windows and doors for your house, and if you have not taken care of whether they are air tight or not, you will have to spend extra cash on your energy bills. On the other hand, if you can avoid poor air sealing, it will help you to save a lot of money as energy bills.
- Thermostat – The type of thermostat that you are using also matters. It is always better to opt for thermostat that will address individual zones as far as heating and cooling is concerned. It is still better if you have a programmable thermostat at your disposal.
Regardless of the type of arrangement you are making, it is best to opt for expert advice and recommendation so that you can boast of an energy friendly home and also save a lot of hard earned cash. There are many interior decorating firms that can assist you in this regard.