In India, children of affluent families still choose to travel to foreign countries to pursue higher studies. Students often flock countries like the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Ireland, and Britain due to their world renowned education system. While most foreign students are excited to explore a foreign land and learn the intricacies of a new culture, this excitement is often mingled with the anxiety and fear of being alone.
Indeed, a number of problems can unexpectedly befall a foreign student such as a car accident, sickness, sports injury, loss of luggage, loss of passport or misplaced wallet. Which is why buying student travel insurance is extremely important. It not only covers medical expenses but also compensates the student in the unlikely event that they lose their passport, baggage or wallet.
Besides, it is a well-known fact that medical treatment costs in developed countries is much higher than in India.
In order to find out the best travel insurance for students, it is essential to know what expenses most policies cover.
What Student Travel Insurance Covers
Although each insurance company will have their own set of expenses that are covered by them, most comprehensive student travel insurance policies cover the following:
- Medical expenses for sickness and hospitalization
- Medical costs associated with treatment of injuries in an accident
- Emergency medical expense
- Dental treatment
- Loss of passport
- Loss of baggage
- Baggage delay in arrival to the destination
- Loss of wallet
- Payment of tuition fees if the student is hospitalized
- Payment of tuition fees in case the student’s sponsor dies
- Medical cost of treatment from an injury while playing a college sport
- Payment of tuition fees in case a student’s family member has suddenly passed away
- Expenses related to the sudden demise of the student and transportation of their remains to the home country
What Student Travel Insurance Doesn’t Cover
A student travel insurance policy doesn’t compensate the pupil for the following expenses:
- Medical expense of a pre-existing illness or medical condition
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Treatment cost of a self-inflicted injury
- Expenses for an experimental medical treatment
- Medical costs arising from substance abuse
Where Can You Buy Student Travel Insurance
Before buying the best travel insurance, make sure you check the terms and conditions of the policy with an emphasis on understand what expenses it will cover. Some student travel insurance companies provide extensive coverage while some others do not. It is important to compare and contrast different policies before selecting the best one for your needs.
Furthermore, with the advent of the Internet, you can easily buy student travel insurance online for a variety of foreign countries. Most insurance providers state the eligibility criteria on their website so ensure that you have a look at it before purchasing your Schengen travel insurance. General insurance or basic travel insurance won’t provide the kind of coverage you need for an extended stay abroad.