On 22nd June 2016, Indian pulls off the T20 series trophy from Zimbabwe with a thrilling win by only 3 runs. Out of the first two T20 matches wins were equally credited to India and Zimbabwe respectively. The current match was the final one which decided the winner of the T20 series of India’s tour to Zimbabwe. India needed to defend its 138 runs and stop the Zimbabweans to achieve the total in 20 overs. The desperate want of 21 runs off the 20th and last over dragging the match to a dramatic climax, leaving the audience with a raised avalanche of threshold. The chase of 8 runs off 2 balls added fuel to the fire. But the game slipped from the hands of Zimbabweans and India grabbed an astonishing victory with 3 miraculous runs.
- It was Zimbabwe who had won the toss and decided to ball first, leaving India with no alternative than batting. Mandeep Singh and KL Rahul started off the match together, but Mandeep played only 6 balls and returned to pavilion giving a catch to Maruma. 7 runs later, KL Rahul joined him in the pavilion, leaving the scoreboard at 27-2 in 4.3 overs.
- MK Pandey was run out by Chigumbura and returned at duck. It was KM Jadhav, who came to India’s rescue and handled the situation by beating 58 lightning fast runs in only 42 balls with 7 fours and 1 six to his credit. Rayadu had to leave at 20 at the end of 13th
- MS Dhoni could not work out his magic this time and had to leave the field, scoring 9 runs in 13 balls. India marked 100 runs in 103 balls holding the strike rate close to 6. At the loss of 6 wickets and 103 minutes in the field, Indian Inning summed up at 138 runs in 20 overs. India had now to defend the chase and stop the Zimbabweans from summing the total.
- Chibhabha and HMazakadza opened the 20-20 match with the intent to win over the Indians and bag the series trophy. It was Sran’s spell and Chahal’s catch that dismissed Chibhabha off the pitch. Zimbabwe was 17-1 in 2.4 overs. Two consecutive leg before wickets of H Mazakadza and Sibanda by Patel and Kulkarni respectively lit a lamp of hope in Indian supporters’ hearts.
- At the start of 11th Over, Zimbabwe had scored 60 runs with the loss of 3 wickets. 26 runs and 19 balls later, Zimbabwe lost Moor’s wicket. Waller and Chigumbura were dismissed at 10 and 16 runs respectively by Kulkarni and Sran.
- The final over demanded 21 runs. The excitement in the stadium was for the best. With 8 runs remaining in 2 balls, the crowd cheered in felicity. BB Srangrabbed the wicket of Chigumbura at the last ball of the match and made India victorious.
KM Madhav was awarded Player of the Match for his stupendous performance in the game which benefited India to taste victory.