Those lovely scented candles that make your home smell so delicious, may actually be harming you.
You may love the smell of scented candles, but the chemicals used to create that aroma can be deadly. Limonene is one such chemical, used to create a citrus scent, but when mixed with the air, it produces formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde is known to cause nasal cancer in rats, and the chemical has been linked to human cancer such as brain cancer and leukemia.
The first step is to look at the type of candles you’re buying. Synthetically scented candles are a no-no, and even if you think the candle sounds healthy, such as soy candles, they still produce unhealthy chemicals when burned.
Beeswax candles are the healthy alternative, as the fragrance they give off, is created from essential oils, not chemicals.
While cancer is the most dangerous reaction to chemically scented candles, other reactions, such as burning throat, watery eyes, sneezing, itchy skin, can all arise, signaling you that your candle is harming you.
So do you have to give up your scented candles for good? Well, if you must buy them, fill your house with plants. English Ivy, geraniums, lavender and many ferns help reduce the toxins in the air.
When burning synthetically scented candles, make sure the room is properly ventilated. Open a window to get some fresh air circulating. In winter, this could be a problem, so reduce the amount of candle burning time during this season.